Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Rachel & John: Engagement

Alright, everybody, get ready, because Rachel & John are HOTT. With two T's. Very, very hott.

Photobucket

We went to Eagle Creek for these, which was so great because I'd never shot there (LOVE new places to go), and I had no idea how many fabulous places there would be for pictures. I mean, any time you've got sand, you're off to a good start, I'd say.

Photobucket

Rachel and her mom are faithful blog readers (yay!) and as soon as I suggested a shadow picture, she was excited, which made ME excited! And don't you just love this little boat house? It was perfect with her dress and eyes (not that you can see those here, but it really was).

Photobucket

John is completely comfortable with the camera, which is awesome in a groom. You just never really know how it's going to go, and I think girls are just way more used to posing for the camera. But I can SO already tell their wedding pictures are going to be amazing.

Photobucket

Rachel has perfect Jennifer Aniston hair, which I'm not jealous of at all ... except I am, a little bit. :) But mostly I'm just happy for her that she has such perfect hair.

Photobucket

Not to even mention her perfect face! I'd be getting jealous again, except that I reminded myself that I get to take pictures of her again, and she's making me look good. :)

Photobucket

Oh, yay! I had so much fun with this one, and I love how even with the high contrast you can still see the cloud on the water. :) (I am very smiley-facey tonight. Maybe it's because I finally discovered a store up here that has my favorite sweet tea--it's Dean's, in case you're wondering, and if you're ever in Naperville and need some, Meijer is the place. Now I can stop dragging it back from Indy five gallons at a time, yay!)

Photobucket

Okay, so here John was skipping rocks, and it was so funny and cute because whenever he'd get one, Rachel would get totally excited and give him a hug and kiss. I laughed about how girls are pretty much always impressed by the same things at any age, and then lamented a little bit about how I could never skip rocks.

Okay, but then skip forward to a couple weeks ago when Billy, Amy, and I went to the dunes (on Lake Michigan, for those of you unfamiliar), and I found more skipping rocks than I could carry. So I decided to give it a shot and the first few were shaky, but then I TOTALLY got the hang of it, and was so impressed with myself that I spent the entire rest of the afternoon gathering and skipping rocks. It was easily one of the best days of my summer. Also, I have to tell on us and say that we found THE PERFECT ROCK ... it was huge and totally flat on one side and mostly flat on the other, and it would skip at least six times per throw. Well, it was easy to spot in the water, which was SO clear, so we pretty much played with one rock all day, AND THEN I picked it up and took it home so we could play with it again next time! Hahahahaha! I am so easily entertained, and we would all be perfect poor kids (assuming there was a body of water nearby).

Photobucket

This is one of my favorite engagement pictures EVER. It looks like it should be a poster.

Photobucket

Oh, man, and I just loved the simplicity of this one. As soon as I took it, I knew I liked it, and I don't usually know that fast. :)

Photobucket

Oh! I love this picture anyway, but this is probably a good time to point out that I accidentally stumbled across a new post-processing effect (which looks GORGEOUS on these two) that I really like and which I think gives the picture sort of an old-school film look. Like ... it almost makes me feel nostalgic, even though this was only a few weeks ago. Pretty wild!

Photobucket

Okay, now we are venturing REALLY far into the depths of nerddom, which is why I took this picture in the first place. So, I know not everyone is a Star Wars fan, and probably even less are Ewoks fans, but when I was a kid, I wore out my dad's Return of the Jedi tape because I loved the Ewoks so much, so my parents taped the Ewok movies off of TV for me, and I watched THOSE all the time. Eventually, I sort of forgot the details, but I always remembered that snake thing that jumped out of the tree at Mace and scared the holy crap out of me, and this tree TOTALLY reminded me of that.

Sidenote, years later, when the Ewok movies came out on DVD (one DVD for both, actually), my mom got them for me for my birthday. I think I was about 25. Anyway, I put them on one day while I was working on an art project and found myself quoting along with the entire movie, including Ewok language, even though I hadn't seen them in YEARS and remembered nothing about them at all. It was so weird. But isn't it cool what your brain can do?

Photobucket

Back to John and Rachel! In a boat! It wasn't in the water, but I really think you can't even tell, which surprised me.

Photobucket

John really wanted his own senior picture. :)

Photobucket

Oh man, there was a whole great little set of these. I have a feeling you'll be seeing them on my website one day, but this was my favorite. :)

Photobucket

These guys are so CUTE! Can't get over it.

Photobucket

Oh, yes! A little dramatic shot by the boats! Looking through these again, I am still just so amazed by how much variety there was for photos at Eagle Creek. Very fun.

Photobucket

John kept getting phone calls from his friend who was working on a car, asking for his help. Rachel kept yelling at him for answering the phone because they were getting their pictures taken, but I don't think she was really mad, and that's really sweet. :)

Photobucket

We waited around awhile for the sun to set, and we didn't really get much, but Rachel did spot this awesome cloud that we got some mileage out of. :)

Photobucket

This goose cracked me up. It was obviously "special", and kept walking around with its mouth open (which I have never seen a goose do) and drooling (ditto). He also had a foot that was bent backwards, and he would kind of limp and stumble around. The thing was, it was fat, so it clearly wasn't suffering or anything, and if you're going to be a special goose, I would think that Eagle Creek would be the place to do it.

Anyway, Rachel got really concerned about the goose, because while I had just assumed he was born that way, she thought maybe he was recently injured. Well, then I got worried and we had to go because it was making us too sad. This is so typical of me, I get so upset when things happen to animals in movies and Billy always has to tell me, "That _______ (fill in the blank animal) lives on a farm in California! He's a movie star and gets the royal treatment!"

Well, anyway, they dropped me off at my friend Dan and Nicole's house, who lived right across the street from Eagle Creek. I mentioned the goose to Nicole, and she instantly knew which one I was talking about. She said, "Oh, yeah, he comes over here all the time. He was just born that way." So I felt way better and thought about waiting for the blog post to surprise Rachel with the happy goose news, but then I realized I'd want to know sooner so I just went ahead and e-mailed her. And there again, isn't it funny the random things you connect with people about?

Photobucket

And finally, as many of my clients are, Rachel and John were willing to indulge my little "artist" moment while I took this picture, which also reminded me of Erin, because she likes empty chairs and how they're just waiting for butts to come sit on them.

Speaking of butts and sitting, I need to get off mine and go walk Flash and my Netflix to the mailbox across from the Wonder/Hostess outlet. Until next time.

3 comments:

/// said...

SB! SB! I WANT THIS CHAIR PHOTO AS A POSTER! SHUT UP, YOU ARE GOOD! :)

The Way EYE See It... said...

e them...and the chair one is a GREAT closer!

Anonymous said...

These look great! They look like a laid back and fun couple to work with. I love the colors in the boat house picture SOOOOOO much.